Tomato Rasam is very popular and more so in our family. I prepare this in the way my Mom have always made. This is the most basic of the rasam recipe and quite simple to make.
Generally Rasam is the South Indian soup, made from tomatoes, tamarind and other healthy spices like garlic, cumin, pepper corns etc. This goes very well with hot steamed rice or can also be served as an appetizer..!
Here goes the recipe of Tomato Rasam in Indian Flavour… !!!
· Tomato - 3
· Peppercorns - 8 to 10
· Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Cumin seeds - ½ tbsp
· Sambar pwd - 1 tsp
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Asafetida pwd - a pinch
· Garlic - 3 to 4
· Tamarind juice - 3 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Curry & coriander leaves - handful
· Salt to taste
· Oil to fry
1. Roast the peppercorns, coriander seeds and cumin seeds for a minute.
2. Allow to cool and grind them to coarse masala pwd.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for some time, till they turn mushy.
5. Now add coriander leaves, green chilly, sambar pwd, salt, turmeric pwd, crushed garlic and fry for a minute.
6. Add 1 cup water and allow to cook.
7. Add thick tamarind juice, masala pwd and allow to boil.
8. Once the first bubble starts appearing and spicy aroma fills the house, turn off the flame.
9. Heat oil in a small fry pan.
10. Temper with asafetida, curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds.
11. Add this to rasam.
12. Add a handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
13. Tasty Tomato rasam is ready.
14. Serve hot with white steamed rice.
Sending this and the following Tomato receipes to Siri's Healing foods Tomato Event hosted by PJ.
Tomato Veg Soup
Hugs n Smiles...:)