Brinji Rice Recipe / Lunch Box Recipes
Brinji Rice: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Brinji Rice is a special variety rice dish that can be seen in all special occasions in India. The leaves of Bay tree are called Brinji in Tamil, ( Tejpatta in Hindi ) . As this rice dish, uses bay leaf as the main flavoring spice, it is popularly called Brinji Rice. This is very tasty flavorful rice, and serves as an excellent lunch box menu. It is prepared in a rice cooker with fried onions, brinji leaf, ginger garlic paste, mint leaves, coconut milk and ghee roasted basmati rice.
Hope you enjoy this popular South Indian recipe…!
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Onion - 3
- Green chilly - 3 or 4
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon - 2
- Cloves - 3
- Brinji leaf / bay / basil - 2
- Anise - 2 petal
- Cardamom - 2
- Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
- Mint leaves - handful
- Thick coconut milk - small cup
- Cashew - 4 to 5
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak for 10 mins.
- Drain the water completely.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a frying pan.
- Fry cinnamon, cloves, brinji leaves, cardamom, anise and fennel seeds.
- Take them aside.
- Now, fry the rice in low heat and empty the contents into a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and heat it.
- Add chopped onion and fry to golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste, slit green chillies, salt, mint leaves and sauté well.
- Once done, add thick coconut milk and combine.
- Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
- Transfer the contents to pressure cooker.
- Add the required quantity of water and cook the rice.
- Remove from heat and wait till pressure goes off.
- Fluff the rice gently.
- Garnish with ghee roasted golden cashews and freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with onion raita and pappad.
- Delicious and tasty brinji rice ready to give a taste…:)