Murungai Keerai Sambar:
(Lentils with Moringa Leaves)
This Murungai Keerai Sambar is one of the most loved dishes in our family. This is a very tasty and healthy dish. The preparation is quite simple and can be served with hot idly and dosa or plain rice. This Murungai or drumstick leaves are rightly called as ‘Potential life saver’, due to its rich protein content. Also the leaves are packed with essential vitamins and minerals esp. Vit A & C. It prevents Malnutrition and related diseases.
This tiny Murungai leaves has enormous benefits like…
· 4 times the Vit A of Carrot
· 7 times the Vit C of Orange
· 4 times the calcium of Milk
· 3 times the Potassium of Bananas
· ¾ times the Iron of Spinach
· 2 times the protein of yogurd
I will be preparing this Murungai Keerai sambar, frequently,
and here is the recipe of the lip-smacking delicacies of South India for you…
· Murungai Keerai - 2 cups
· Toor dal - 100 g
· Oil - 2 tsp
· Onion - 1
· Tomato - 1
· Asafetida pwd - ¼ tsp
· Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
· Methi seeds - ½ tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Red chilly - 1 or 2
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tbsp
· Coriander pwd - ½ tbsp
· Sambar pwd - ½ tbsp
· Tamarind juice - 1 tbsp
· Salt to taste
1. Wash and pressure cook the toor dal along with asafetida, turmeric pwd.
2. Heat oil in a pan, season with methi seeds, mustard, cumin, red chilly and curry leaves.
3. Wait to crackle.
4. Add chopped onion and sauté till it turns light pink.
5. Add chopped tomatoes, stir until it is cooked.
6. Now add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd and salt.
7. Stir well add Murungai (drumstick leaves).
8. Sauté in low flame. Add sambar pwd , salt , water and allow to cook covered for 5 mins.
9. Now add the mashed dal, tamarind juice,
10. Stir well and allow to boil for 2 to 3 mins.
11. Serve hot with white steamed rice.