Ven Pongal / Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Ven Pongal: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Ven Pongal is a very popular dish from South Indian cuisine. It is a definite item in the menu for Pongal Celebration in India. It serves as an ideal breakfast with an excellent combination of coconut chutney, Vada & hot sambar. Next to Idly, this is the very common dish often seen at South Indian Restaurants.
Pongal is commonly referred to savory pudding made with beautiful combination of lentils and rice tempered with spices and nuts sauted in Hot Ghee. This is very easy to prepare and the taste is filling and yummy.
Here is the easy to cook and ready to serve recipe for you…:)
- Raw rice - 1 cup
- Moong dal - ¼ cup
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Cashew - 6 to 8
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Asafetida pwd - ¼ tsp
- Grated ginger - ½ tsp
- Curry leaves - 6
- Salt to taste
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add moong dal and fry to golden.
- Remove from heat.
- Wash rice and roasted dal in water.
- Cook in pressure cooker by adding 2 ½ cups of water, 1 cup milk and little salt.
- Once it is completely cooked, mash the contents.
- Heat ghee in a small fry pan, season with cashew, pepper, cumin, asafetida pwd, curry leaves, grated ginger.
- Pour it over mashed pongal, mix well.
- Taste and adjust salt.