Sura Meen Kuzhambu: (Shark Curry )
Like us on Youtube for Video RecipesSura Meen Kuzhambu: (Shark Curry )
Shark Curry in South India is called Sura Kuzhambu…( Shark – Sura, Curry – Kuzhambu ) This Kuzhambu is a seafood delicacy and a very popular dish in Tamil Nadu. Also, this is a diet food for young and lactating morhers, as Shark fish increases lactation amazingly. The addition of crushed garlic pods adds to its medicinal value as well as for its taste. My mom prepared this yesterday and it was simply delicious with white steamed hot rice and roasted pappads…
And now comes the recipe…:))
· Sura Meen Pieces - 6
· Gingely oil - 4 tbsp
· Tamarind - a lemon size
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tbsp
· Turmeric pwd - 1 tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tbsp
· Pepper - 1 tsp
· Cumin - 1 tsp
· Fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp
· Vadagam - 1 tsp
· Onion - 1
· Garlic pods - 7 to 8
· Tomatoes chopped - 1 cup
· Salt to taste
· Chopped coriander leavesMethod:
1. Wash the Sura fish pieces, and boil it in a skillet by adding water and ½ tsp turmeric pwd.
2. Boil it for 5 mins. Allow to cool, peel off the outer skin, reserve it.
3. Soak tamarind in water, add little salt to it.
4. Take thick tamarind water from it.
5. To this add red chilly pwd, turmeric pwd and coriander pwd.
6. Roast the pepper and cumin seeds, till you get aroma.
7. Cool and grind in blender to coarse pwd.
8. Heat gingely oil in a thick bottomed pan, season with curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, vadagam ( or with mustard, curry leaves, cumin seeds and split urad dal)
9. Allow to crackle, add chopped onion pieces, fry to light pink.
10. Crush the garlic pods, add to pan, fry till raw smell disappears.
11. Add pepper cumin coarse pwd, fry well.
12. Add chopped tomato pieces, cook until it is done and oil separates out.
13. Now add the tamarind water mixture, allow to boil covered for 5 mins.
14. Check for salt and adjust salt & seasonings.
15. Add sura fish pieces, allow to boil for 3 to 4 mins.
16. Remove from flame. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
17. Serve piping hot with steamed white rice.