Pepper Rasam also called as Milagu Rasam is an authentic recipe of South India. I learnt this recipe from my Mom. It is a type of spicy hot soup, that is usually eaten with cooked rice. It is very tasty, easy to prepare and good for health. A cup of hot rasam helps to relieve common cold, sore throat and loss of appetite. Pepper helps the body to be active, healthy and alert. This rasam tastes heavenly, after heavy food like Non-Veg Biryanis. Enjoy the recipe of spicy pepper rasam here..:)
- Pepper - 2 tbsp
- Red chilly - 1 or 2
- Toor dal - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind paste - 2 tbsp
- Tomato - 2
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp
- Split urad dal - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry and coriander leaves
- Take a dry pan, roast pepper, red chilly, toor dal, 5 curry leaves and cumin seeds till it fragrant.
- Allow to cool, grind in a blender to coarse pwd.
- In a separate bowl, add tamarind paste, add 4 cups of warm water and mix well.
- Add tomato and smash with hands.
- Add crushed garlic, turmeric pwd, salt and mix well.
- Add the above coarse pwd, stir completely.
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a pan, temper with mustard, asafetida, split urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add above prepared rasam and allow to boil in low heat.
- Once the first bubble starts appearing, turn off the flame.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and cover it with a lid.
- The secret of hot pepper rasam, lies in the removal of rasam from heat, once it starts to bubble.
- Now, enjoy the rich aroma of Pepper rasam, filled all around your sweet home.