This is a highly nutritious recipe with authentic mouth watering taste. Usili means ‘broken crumbles of dal’. This can be made with vegetables like carrot, beans, cabbage, cauliflower, banana flower etc. This dish is my Hubby’s favorite side- dish to go with rice and Vathal Kuzhambu or Karakuzhambu. I make this around once in a week. Here’s the delicious recipe for you…
· Beans - 100g
· Carrot - 2
· Cabbage - 100 g
· Toor dal - 2 tbsp
· Bengal gram dal - 2 tbsp
· Red chilly - 2 to 3
· Oil - 1 tbsp
· Asafetida - ¼ tsp
· Mustard - ½ tsp
· Cumin - 1 tsp
· Curry leaves - 4 or 5
· Coriander leaves
· Salt to tasteMethod:
1. Cut vegetables to small pieces and boil with little water and salt.
2. Wash and soak toor dal & Bengal gram dal for 30 mins.
3. Strain water from it, grind it to thick coarse batter by adding red chilly and salt.
4. Make small round balls of the batter, pat it flat and boil in idly cooker for 10 mins. (Usili ready)
5. You can also prepare usili, by frying the small balls in hot oil to golden brown. Cool it and break to small crumps. (Usili ready)
6. Heat oil in a pan, temper with asafetida, curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds.
7. Add cooked vegetables, toss it for 4 mins.
8. Now add the crumps of usili, combine well.
9. Toss it further 5 mins in low flame.
10. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves.