Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu
Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu:
(Sour gravy made with sundried veggies)
Manathakkali Vathal Kuzhambu is a South Indian Spicy gravy. Manathakkali Vathal is a sun dried, pickled version of the green berries of the Manathakkali plant.It is called ‘Black Night Shade’ in English & ’Makoy’ in Hindi.You can buy this from Indian grocery stores. Manathakkali Vathal is rich in vitamins and has got a lot of medicinal values like curing stomach ailments, mouth ulcers, disorders of nutrition, cold & cough, scurvy and liver disorders. This dish is one of my favorite since childhood. There is nothing better than manathakkali vathal kuzhambu and roasted pappad. It is an ultimate comfort food and enjoy the recipe here…!
· Small onion - 1 cup
· Garlic - ½ cup
· Tamarind paste - 2 tbsp
· Tomato - 3
· Pepper - 1 tbsp
· Cumin - 1 tbsp
· Manathakkali Vathal - ½ cup
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tbsp
· Oil - 3 tbsp
· Ghee - 1 tbsp
· Mustard - ½ tsp
· Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
· Curry & coriander leaves - handful
· Salt to tasteMethod:
1. Chop small onion, garlic, curry & coriander leaves, tomato to fine pieces.
2. Heat a dry pan, roast pepper, cumin seeds and grind them to coarse pwd.
3. Keep tamarind paste ready.
4. Heat gingerly oil in a pan, add manathakkali vathal, deep fry it and keep aside.
5. In the same oil temper mustard, fenugreek seeds (vendaiyam)
6. Add onion, garlic, curry & coriander leaves, sauté to golden.
7. Add tomato pieces, salt and tamarind paste.
8. Fry in medium flame for 4 mins.
9. Add turmeric pwd, coarse pepper & cumin pwd, red chilly pwd and allow to boil adding water.
10. Keep in sim for another 5 mins with stirring once in a while.
11. Add 1 tbsp of ghee and fried manathakkali vathal, combine well.
12. Mouth watery recipe ready for you to taste.