Kanchipuram Idli - Easy Video Recipe
Kanchipuram IdliHere comes such a delicious healthy version of idli which has a unique taste of seasoned pepper, cumin seeds and ginger. This very popular South Indian dish makes a special tiffin or dinner in everyone's households. The best accompaniment for this idli is kara chutney or coconut chutney. As this idly is offered as Neivedyam to the Lord at Varadaraja perumal temple, (Kanchipuram) it got its famous name. Making this traditional idli at home is very easy and main ingredients needed are rice, dal and dry spices.
Video Recipe For more Video recipes Subscribe here
- Raw rice - 2 cups
- Urad dal - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal - 1 tbsp
- Broken cashewnuts - 2 tbsp
- Grated ginger - 1 tsp
- Sliced green chilly - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Crushed pepper - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- wash and soak raw rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water.
- Let it soak for 6 hours or preferably overnight.
- Drain the water and add it to blender.
- Add little water and grind to thick batter.
- Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add salt and mix it with hands.
- Cover with lid and allow to ferment for 6 to 7 hours.
- After fermentation, stir well and set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in pan.
- Add chana dal and broken cashewnuts.
- Saute to golden.
- Add grated ginger, sliced green chilly, curry leaves.
- Toss for a minute.
- Add cumin and crushed pepper.
- Saute and turn off flame.
- Add it to batter.
- Add turmeric pwd, hing, ginger pwd and coriander leaves.
- Mix well.
- Grease idly plates in oil.
- Add batter in the idly plates.
- Keep in idly cooker and steam cook for 10 to 12 mins.
- That's it ...flavorful spicy delicious Kanchipuram idli is ready.
- Enjoy hot with chutney, sambar and any dip of your choice.