Somas Sweet / Diwali Sweets - Easy Video Recipe
Somas is an authentic delicious sweet prepared for Diwali and other special occasions. Its very easy to prepare and tastes heavenly with crispy, flaky outside and sweet chewy inside. My grandma used to prepare this yummy sweet every year for Diwali. The inner stuffing can be prepared with any different variety of nutritious filling. Try this simple video recipe and have a great festive season.!
Video Recipe For more Video recipes Subscribe here
IngredientsTo make outer cover:
- Maida (all purpose flour ) - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Semolina (rava or sooji) - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Broken cashew & almond nuts - 3 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pwd - 1/4 tsp
- Fried gram pwd (pottukadalai maavu) - 1/4 cup
- Semolina - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Oil to deep fry
MethodTo make outer cover:
- Add salt and maida flour to mixing bowl.
- Add semolina and combine.
- Sprinkle water little by little and knead to smooth soft dough.
- The dough consistency should be thick and not watery.
- Cover with damp cloth and keep aside.
- Outer Cover for somaz is ready.
- Heat ghee in a fry pan.
- Add broken cashew and almond.
- Roast to golden.
- Add grated coconut and saute in low flame for 5 mins.
- Add cardamom pwd, fried gram pwd and semolina.
- Saute well for few minutes.
- Add sugar and stir for another 5 mins.
- Turn off flame and allow to cool.
- Inner stuffing (sweet puranam) is ready.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Take a ball, dust it with flour and roll it to thin round disc.
- Make maida paste by adding 1 tbsp of maida flour and 1/4 cup of water.
- Apply the maida paste on the edges of the disc as shown in video.
- Place a tbsp of puranam in the middle and close it.
- Seal the edges tightly.
- Make design at the edges with the help of a fork. (optional)
- Heat oil in frypan.
- Drop the somas one by one carefully.
- Deep fry in medium heat.
- Flip it once in a while to ensure even cooking of somas.
- Once the somas turns crispy & golden, drain from oil.
- Authentic delicious homemade somas is ready.
- It stays fresh in air tight container for one week or more.