Ven Pongal Recipe / Ghee Pongal / Khara Pongal / Healthy Breakfast IdeasVen Pongal / Ghee Pongal / Khara Pongal: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
· Raw rice - ½ cup
· Moong dal (yellow) - ¼ cup
· Water - 4 cups
· Ghee - 1 tspFor Tempering:
· Broken cashewnuts - 2 tbsp
· Black pepper - 1 tsp
· Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
· Curry leaves - 1 sprig
· Grated ginger - 1 tsp
· Green chilly - 1
· Hing - a generous pinch
· Ghee - 2 tbsp
· Oil - 1 tbsp
· Salt to tasteMethod:
1. Wash and soak raw rice in water for 10 mins.
2. Heat a frypan in low medium heat.
3. Dry roast split moong dal ( yellow moong dal) for few minutes or until it lets out rich aroma. ( take care the dal shouldn’t be over roasted or change color to brown)
4. Now add the dal and soaked rice together in a bowl and place it in pressure cooker.
5. Add 4 cups of water and a tsp of ghee to it.
6. Cook for 5 to 6 whistles and keep in simmer for 10 mins.
7. The dal and rice should be cooked mushy.
8. Meanwhile keep ready the broken cashewnuts, pepper, cumin, curry leaves, grated ginger, finely sliced green chilly and ghee.
9. Heat oil & ghee in a small frypan.
10. Add in the broken cashewnuts, pepper,cumin, curry leaves, grated ginger, green chilly and hing.
11. Roast briefly until the cashews turn golden.
12. Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
13. Mash and rice and dal mixture by adding salt.
14. Add the roasted ingredients.
15. Mix everything to combine.
16. That’s it lipsmacking delicious Ghee pongal is ready.