Thalapakattu Mutton Biryani / Mutton Biryani / Indian Biryani RecipesLike us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Thalapakattu Mutton Biryani: Searching for a lipsmacking spicy biryani recipe for a special day? Check out this traditional style of making the biryani with irresistible flavors. In this recipe, the raw meat is marinated and cooked with spices and then mixed with rice and kept on dum. The soft and mouth melting mutton chunks in biryani tickles the tastebuds of the non-veg lovers. Thespicy biryani has the prefect taste, texture and colour and pairs up excellent with onion raitha.
· Mutton pieces - 350 g
· Lemon juice - 1 tsp
· Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
· Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Salt to taste
· Basmati rice/ biryani rice- 2 cups
· Onion - 2
· Tomato - 2
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
· Chopped mint and coriander leaves - 1 cup
· Oil /ghee - 2 tbsp
· Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
· Bay leaf - 1
· Cloves - 3
· Cardamom - 2
· Cinnamon - 1
· Black pepper - 5
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
· Biryani masala pwd - ½ tsp
· Garam masala pwd - 1 tsp
· Yoghurt - 3 tbsp
· Coconut milk - ½ cup
· Salt to tasteMethod:
1. Wash and chop mutton to desired size pieces.
2. Marinate with lemon juice, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, ginger garlic paste and salt.
3. Allow to marinate for 1 hour.
4. Transfer the marinated mutton to cooker, add ½ cup water and cook for4 whistles or until the mutton pieces are three-fourth cooked.
5. Meanwhile wash and soak basmati rice in water for 10 mins and drain water.
6. Cook the rice by adding 3 ½ cups of water.
7. Once the rice is done, drain the excess water.
8. Transfer to another vessel. The rice grains should be separable and not sticky.
9. Slice onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and keep ready.
10. Chop fresh mint and coriander leaves.
11. Heat oil/ghee in a frypan.
12. Add cumin seeds.
13. Wait to splutter.
14. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorns and saute.
15. Add onions and saute till golden.
16. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
17. Add sliced tomatoes and green chilly.
18. Add half of the finely chopped mint and coriander leaves.
19. Cook further till oil separates.
20. Add red chilly pwd, biryani masala pwd, garam masala pwd and salt.
21. Mix well.
22. Add yoghurt and stir.
23. Add mutton pieces (half-cooked) and combine well with the masala.
24. Fry for 5 minutes.
25. Add coconut milk, cover with lid and cook.
26. Check and adjust salt.
27. Add cooked basmati rice to the masala, add lemon juice.
28. Add the remaining mint coriander leaves.
29. Mix gently.
30. Cover the vessel with a lid and cook on low medium flame for 10 mins.
31. Turn off the flame.
32. Lipsmacking Biryani is ready.
33. Serve hot with onion raitha and spicy non-veg masala.