MILAGU KUZHAMBU - CHETTINAD STYLE PEPPER KULAMBU RECIPE / STEP BY STEP
Milagu Kuzhambu: For more Video recipes Subscribe here
Today, am sharing my MIL’s signature dish Milagu Kuzhambu. If you’re bored of the regular sambar menu, this spicy, tongue-tickling flavorful kuzhambu makes a opt choice for your lunch.
It is one of the healthy food in winter season, as black pepper not only adds extra zing to the Indian dishes, its loaded with medicinal properties. It helps to calm a cold, detox our skin and even help fight cancer.
As the name implies, this gravy uses peppercorns instead of red chillies. It is prepared by cooking freshly ground spices with peppercorns in a tamarind based gravy.
It tastes excellent with steamed rice and ghee with any veg stir fry, paruppu thogayal or roasted pappad.
Here comes the traditional Milagu Kuzhambu recipe, try once and am sure you’ll love it..!
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Chana dal - 1 tbsp
· Red chilly - 1 or 2
· Pepper corns - 2 tsp
· Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
· Tamarind - a small piece
· Coriander leaves - handful
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Hing - a generous pinch
· Curry leaves - a twig
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Jaggery - a small piece
· Salt to taste
1. Heat 1 tsp of cooking oil or sesame oil in a pan. ( I used sesame oil for aunthentic taste)
2. Add chana dal, red chilly and pepper corns.
3. Roast for a minute and take it aside.
4. Allow it to cool.
5. In a mixer add finely grated coconut, tamarind, coriander leaves and roasted chana dal, red chilly and peppercorns.
6. Grind it to coarse mixture.
7. Add ½ cup of water and grind it to fine paste.
8. Heat oil in the same pan.
9. Add mustard, cumin seeds, red chilly, ½ tsp pepper corns and curry leaves.
10. Allow to crackle.
11. Add hing, turmeric pwd, coriander pwd and stir well. Add the fine paste and combine thoroughly.
12. Add 1 cup of water and adjust the thickness of the kuzhambu.
13. Add salt, jaggery and stir well. ( jaggery helps to control the hot taste of pepper)
14. Allow to cook in low medium flame for 5 to 6 mins till the gravy reaches the thick consistency.
15. Add a tsp of sesame oil and turn off flame.
16. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
17. Hot and spicy chettinad style Milagu Kuzhambu is ready.
18. Serve with steamed white rice.
Clik here for : more Kuzhambu recipes
For regular updates / Like :