How to make Cucumber Pachadi / Vellarikkai Pachadi / Onam Sadya Recipes:
Vellarikkai Pachadi : Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Cucumber Pachadi is a very healthy & tasty side dish in traditional Onam Sadya menu of kerala cuisine. Cucumber is an ideal ingredient for making pachadis as it tastes full of flavor and very rich in vitamin A, B and C.
The special flavor of this pachadi comes from the freshly grounded mix of grounded coconut, cumin and green chilly and makes it an awesome dish. The same recipe can be used with any vegetables like beetroot, raddish, ashgourd, pumpkin, raw mango, bottlegourd, etc..
This pachadi tastes best as as side with rice and any Indian breads.
Here it goes the delicious and authentic cucumber pachadi recipe. Have a look ! .
· Cucumber - 3 to 5
· Grated coconut - ¼ cup
· Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Thick yoghurt / curd - 1 cup
· Oil - ½ tsp
· Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ¼ tsp
· Split urad dal - ½ tsp
· Hing / asafetida - a pinch
· Fresh coriander leaves
· Salt to taste
1. Wash and peel the skin of cucumber.
2. Grate it to fine shreds.
3. Heat a pan.
4. Add the cucumber shreds and saute well.
5. Cook it covered for 4 to 5 mins in low flame.
6. Take grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chilly.
7. Add it to mixer and grind it well with little amount of water.
8. Take this coconut masala paste in a separate bowl .
9. Once the veg is cooked, add the paste, salt and mix well.
10. Cook for another few minutes.
11. Turn off flame and let it cool.
12. Add thick yoghurt into cucumber spice mix.
13. Combine well.
14. Heat oil in a small fry pan.
15. Add mustard seeds, cumin, split urad dal, hing, curry leaves and wait to crackle.
16. Now add this seasoning into cucumber pachadi.
17. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
18. Your yummy cucumber pachadi / vellarikkai pachadi is ready to taste.
19. It serves as an excellent side dish with Rice or Indian breads.