How to make Appalam Kootu / Appala Kootu / Pappad Kootu:
Kootu is basically a mix of lentils and vegetables. How it will be adding crispy pappad to kootu variety. Sounds interesting na..! Yes..today’s post is yummy Appala Kootu recipe. It is one of easy and healthy kootu recipes.
Also, it is our family favorite kootu recipe. My mom makes it at least once in a week along with a tangy curry like Kara Kuzhambu orVatha Kuzhambu. The combo is absolutely divine...:)
Try this traditional Appalam Kootu recipe at your home & enjoy.
· Kadala paruppu / Chana dal - ½ cup
· Pappad / Appalam - 6 to 8
· Onion sliced - 2 tbsp
· Tomato sliced - 2 tbsp
· Cubed potato - ½ cup
· Green chilly - 1
· Hing - a pinch
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Cumin pwd - ¼ tsp
· Oil to temper - 1 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly - 1
· Curry leaves - 5 to 6
· Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
· Salt to taste
· Fresh coriander leaves
· Oil to deep fry papads
1. Soak chana dal for 1 hour.
2. Cook appalam / pappad on a stove, or fry in oil and keep aside.
3. Pressure cook chana dal with onion, tomato, peeled and cubed potatoes, green chilly, hing, turmeric pwd, cumin pwd and 1 cup of water.
4. Cook for 3 whistles or until the dal is cooked soft. ( take care the dal doesn’t get mashed up )
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Add mustard and when it splutters, add red chilly, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
7. Now add the cooked dal mixture, add salt and mix well.
8. Add ½ cup water and adjust the thickness of kootu.
9. Crumble the roasted pappad and add to the pan.
10. Stir in well and mix so that the pappads turns soft.
11. Add grated coconut and allow to cook in low flame for 2 to 3 mins.
12. Remove pan from stove.
13. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
14. That’s it…Yummy appalam kootu is ready.
15. Serve hot with spicy & tangy Kuzhambu Varieties.
16. We enjoyed it with tongue ticklling Poondu Kuzhambu .