How to make Sambar Podi at home / Homemade Sambar Powder
Sambar powder is one of the flavorful ingredient to make Sambar, a popular south Indian lentil based gravy. Each home has their own signature recipe for the sambar pwd.
Here, I share my mom’s version, which we usually prepare at our home. My mom makes the absolutely best and mouth-watering sambars and rasams ! Typical ingredients of this sambar pwd includes roasted lentils, coriander seeds, dried whole red chillies and other aromatic spices.
Make your homemade awesome Sambar Podi with this easy recipe...:)
· Red chilly - 12 to 14
· Cumin / Jeera - 2 tsp
· Mustard - 2 tsp
· Urad dal - 3 tbsp
· Fenugreek - 2 tsp
· Pepper - 2 tsp
· Chana dal - ½ cup
· Toor dal - ½ cup
· Coriander seeds - ¾ cup
· Salt to taste
1. In a fry pan, dry roast red chillies ( you can adjust red chillies according to your spice level ) along with cumin, fenugreek, urad dal and pepper.
2. Once it turns browned, take it aside.
3. Dry roast chana dal and toor dal till fragrant.
4. Keep aside.
5. Add coriander seeds and toss for a minute.
6. Allow all the ingredients to cool.
7. Now add it to mixer / blender, add salt and grind it to fine powder.
8. Allow to cool the powdered masala.
9. Flavorful and aromatic homemade Sambar pwd is ready.
10. Store it in an air-tight container for longer shelf life.