How to make Poondu Kuzhambu / Chettinad Poondu Kuzhambu / Spicy Garlic Curry / Step-by-Step:
Poondu Kuzhambu is a tangy and definitely a very flavorful recipe from Chettinad cuisine. This delicious curry is one of our most favorite kuzhambu and my MIL makes this kuzhambu monthly once, since its very good for health and serves as a very good remedy for cold and related problems.
This recipe is a little spicy version and tastes lipsmacking with hot plain rice topped with sesame oil or ghee and pappad. The same gravy can also be prepared without adding onion and tomatoes and make it as a plain curry with the ground garlic-spicy masala. The main flavor of this recipe comes from garlic and gingely oil used. You can also used other cooking oil instead of gingely oil.
This healthy gravy tastes excellent as a side dish to idly and dosa also.
Just trigger your taste-bud with this chettinad style spicy poondu kuzhambu recipe…!
· Cumin - ¾ tsp
· Pepper - ½ tsp
· Coriander seeds - ¾ tsp
· Chana dal - 1 tsp
· Garlic cloves - 8 to 10
· Red chilly - 1
· Onion - 1
· Fresh coriander leaves - a few
· Tomato - 1
· Gingely oil - 1 tbsp
To Prepare Gravy:
· Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball
· Gingely oil - 2 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Fenugreek - 1 tsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Curry leaves - 5 to 6
· Onion - ½
· Garlic cloves - 5 to 6
· Tomato - 1
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - ½ to ¾ tsp
· Pepper pwd - ¼ tsp
· Coriander pwd - ½ tsp
· Sambar pwd - ½ tsp
· Jaggery powdered - ½ tbsp
· Salt to taste
· Fresh coriander leaves
To make ground paste:
1. Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 mins and extract thick juice out of it, keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan.
3. Add cumin, pepper, coriander seeds, chana dal, garlic cloves and red chillies.
4. Toss for a minute.
5. Now add finely chopped onion and coriander leaves.
6. Saute till transculent.
7. Add tomato slices and fry till it is soft and mushy.
8. Turn off flame and allow to cool.
9. Add it to mixer and grind it with little water to a thick coarse paste.
To make gravy:
1. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same pan and splutter the mustard seeds.
2. And season it with cumin, fenugreek, hing and curry leaves.
3. Now add the chopped onion slices and garlic.
4. Toss till the onions turn lightly brown.
5. Add the chopped tomato and cook till the raw smell goes.
6. Cook well till the tomatoes are soft.
7. Pour in the thick tamarind extract to this and stir well.
8. Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd ( adjust chilly pwd to your taste ) pepper pwd, coriander pwd, sambar pwd, salt and mix well.
9. Add 1 cup of water and allow the masala to cook well.
10. Then add the ground paste ( step ) and mix.
11. Allow it to boil in low flame, until the curry / gravy turns thick consistency.
12. Stir it occasionally.
13. Add jaggery and simmer for another 3 to 4 mins.
14. Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
15. Once the curry thickens and oil starts separating from the curry, turn off heat.
16. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
17. Spicy & tasty Chettinad style Poondu Kuzhambu is ready.
18. Serve hot with rice.
19. This remains good in room temperature for two days.