How to make Karuvadu Thokku / Dry Fish Curry / Step by Step:
Karuvadu Thokku : Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Karuvadu Thokku / dry fish curry is a popular curry recipe of Tamil Nadu. It tastes very very mouthwateringly delicious. It is prepared in various different styles, with unique smell and taste.
This dish is one of my MIL’s signature recipe, loved by all of us.
Try this authentic Dry Fish Curry recipe and share your comments..:)
· Karuvadu ( salted Dry Fish) - 6 to 8 pieces
· Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
· Curry leaves - 1 twig
· Onion - 2
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
· Tomato - 2
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Cumin pwd - ½ tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Salt as required
1. Wash and chop the karuvadu to bite-sized pieces.
2. Soak in warm water for 5 to 10 mins.
3. Once again wash, drain and set aside.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
5. Add the fennel seeds and curry leaves.
6. Wait to splutter and add chopped onion.
7. Sauté till they turn golden brown.
8. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
9. Then add the mashed tomatoes and fry till they are done and combined well with the onions.
10. Now add the red chilly pwd, cumin pwd , very little salt and coriander pwd.
11. Fry for few minutes.
12. Now add the karuvadu and fry into the masala prepared.
13. Add ¼ cup of water and mix well ( take care the masala doesn’t get burnt at the bottom)
14. Keep the flame in low-medium and allow the karuvadu to cook completely. (approx 15 mins )
15. Stir once in a while by drizzling oil to the sides.
16. Taste and adjust salt and spices. Saute till it attains dry consistency.
17. Remove from flame and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
18. Delicious Karuvadu Thokku / Salted Dry Fish is ready to be served !
19. It makes a scrumptious combo with sambar, rasam and curd rice