How to make Karaikudi Chicken Fry / Spicy Chicken Varuval:
Today, I am here with yet another spicy & tasty chicken dish – Karaikudi Chicken Fry. Karaikudi is famous for its lipsmacking cuisine in Tamil Nadu.
Karaikudi Chicken Varuval is an authentic Chettinad dish that tastes sooper spicy & flavorful. It pairs up perfect with rotis, parathas, dosa, idly, parotta & rice.
The combination of chicken with fennel seeds, cumin seeds and red chillies gives a special aroma & flavor to this dish.
Try this mouthwatering recipe to prepare Karaikudi Chicken & Enjoy!
( since I prepared this dish in a hurry, couldn’t take proper step wise pictures. Will update the pics soon )
· Chicken - ½ kg
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Lemon juice - 1 tsp
· Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Red chilly - 2
· Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
· Ginger - ½ inch piece
· Garlic - 4 to 5 pods
· Cinnamon - 1
· Cardamom - 1
· Pepper corns - ½ tsp
· Cloves - 3
· Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
· Onion - 2
· Tomato - 2
· Corander pwd - ½ tsp
· Fresh coriander leaves
· Salt to taste
1. Wash, clean the chicken pieces.
2. Marinate with turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, lemon juice and salt.
3. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a fry pan.
4. Roast red chillies, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, cloves, curry leaves and grated coconut for few mins and turn off.
5. Allow to cool.
6. Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste by adding some water.
7. Heat oil in a fry pan.
8. Add mustard seeds and wait to crackle.
9. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
10. Let it fry for few seconds.
11. Add onion slices and fry to transculent.
12. Add finely chopped tomatoes and fry until it is cooked soft and mushy.
13. Add coriander pwd and sauté in low flame for 5 mins.
14. Add the freshly ground masala paste ( step 6 )
15. Mix well and sauté for 3 to 4 mins.
16. Add the marinated chicken and fry until the chicken absorbs the masala well.
17. Add water and cook covered in medium flame.
18. Stir occasionally and cook until it is done.
19. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves & roasted cashewnuts