Akkaravadisal / How to make Akkaravadisal / Step-by-Step Recipe:
Akkaravadisal is a rich and classic South Indian sweet prepared during the festive season like, Navrathri, Gokulashtami, Pongal, Thiru Aadi etc to offer to God.
I have tasted this in a lot of Vaishnav temples as Prasadam. It has its unique healthy taste.
This is the first time I prepared at home, and it came out awesome. My kids fell in love with this semi-solid sweet dish.
In this recipe, the moongdal & rice are cooked in milk, sugar and ghee and then served decorated with chopped nuts and cardamom pwd.
Make delicious Akkaravadisal using this yummy recipe & enjoy..:)
·Raw rice - ½ cup
·Moong dal - ½ cup
·Milk - 3 cups
·Saffron - few strands
·Cashewnuts - 6
·Raisins - 8
·Full cream milk - 1 cup
·Ghee - ¼ cup
·Sugar - 1 cup
·Cardamom pwd - ¼ tsp
1. In a pan, dry roast raw rice and moong dal, til rich aroma comes out.
2. Rinse it and soak them in 3 cups of milk.
3. Soak saffron in ½ cup warm milk and keep aside.
4. Roast cashewnuts and raisins to golden in hot ghee and keep aside.
5. Now add a tsp of ghee to the rice-moong dal, milk mixture, close it with a lid and pressure cook it for 4 whistles and simmer for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Take care the mixture to be cooked until mushy & soft . It should not be grainy.
7. Once the pressure goes off, mash it to pasty.
8. Heat a non-stick pan.
9. Add the mashed rice mixture, add the saffron soaked milk and combine well.
10. if the consistency is thick, you can add full cream milk little by little , till the runny consistency is reached.
11. Now add ghee, sugar and cardamom pwd.
12. Mix well in low medium flame.
13. Sugar dissolves and turns the rice mixture to loose consistency.
14. With continous stirring, again the mixture starts thickening.
15. At this stage, add the roasted nuts and turn off the flame. ( take care to switch it off at the right consistency, as it thickens on cooling )
16. Transfer to serving bowl and drizzle few drops of ghee over the top;
17. Serve hot or warm with roasted nuts garnishing.
18. Lipsmacking Akkaravadisal ready to relish..:)