Murukku / Easy & tasty Murukku / Vinayagar Chathurthi Special Recipe
Crispy Crunchy Murukku :
Murukku is a scrumptious South Indian snack prepared during special occasions & festivals. This is an absolute kids favorite, owing to its taste & portability.
This recipe is quite easy to do and very little chance of getting it wrong. I love to prepare this often as it as comes in handy to serve with tea, to pack in children’s lunches and offer to guests.
Enjoy this delicious recipe of crispy , crunchy & flavorful murukkus ..:)
· Rice flour - 2 cups
· Urad dal flour / black gram flour - 2 tbsp
· Ajwain seeds or cumin seeds - 1 tsp
· Asafetida - ¼ tsp
· Butter - 1 tbsp
· Oil to fry
· Salt to taste
1. For the preparation of murukku, we can use store bought rice & urad dal flours or home-prepared flours.
2. To prepare urad dal flour at home, dry roast the urad dal to light golden color, allow to cool and grind it to smooth pwd.
3. To prepare rice flour, dry roast the rice in a warm frying pan. (Take care the rice shouldn’t change color). Wash & soak for abt 2 hours, drain & spread on the cotton cloth to absorb excess moisture. Grind it to fine pwd.
4. Sieve both the flours together .
5. Take them in a mixing bowl.
6. Add ajwain seeds, asafetida and salt.
7. Add water as required and knead well.
8. Add butter and knead to smooth dough.
9. Allow to remain for 5 minutes.
10. Now heat oil in a kadai.
11. Clean and grease the murukku press / mould with oil.
12. Stuff the dough inside the murukku press.
13. In a ladle or plastic sheet, make round shaped murukkus by pressing the murukku mould.
14. When the oil is hot, drop the murukkus gently.
15. Keep the flame in low medium, and deep fry on both sides, till it becomes light golden brown & crisp.
16. Drain and let it cool , before serving them.
17. Store it in dry air-tight container..