Mothagam / Modakam ( Sweet Kozhukattai recipe ) / Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes:
LIKE US ON YOUTUBE FOR VIDEO RECIPES
Mothagam ( Sweet Kozhukattai recipe )
Sweet Kozhukattai or Mothagam is a delicious sweet & is a favorite for Lord Ganesh. It is a special dish prepared for Ganesh Chaturthi.
My MIL makes it more frequently with different fillings like coconut stuffing, chana dal stuffing, sesame filling, savory filling etc.
Even though the preparation is time consuming, everyone love to do it & enjoy this delicious treats.
This sweet dumplings can also be served as evening snack with tea or as dessert,
Now, I am glad to share with you, the recipe of protein rich – Modaks.
For Outer Covering:
· Rice flour / Idiappam flour - 1 ½ cup
· Oil - ½ to 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Jaggery - 100 g
· Coconut grated - ½ cup
· Cashew - 8 to 10
· Almonds - 10 to 12
· Fried gram - 3 to 4 tbsp
· Peanuts - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Cardamom pwd - ½ tsp
· Ghee - 1 tsp
To Prepare Outer Cover:
1. Add water to a bowl and heat it.
2. Once water starts boiling turn off flame.
3. Add a tsp of oil, a pinch of salt and mix well.
4. Add Idiappam flour little by little and combine with a laddle to soft dough.
5. Cover it with a damp cloth and set aside. ( Wet cloth prevents the dough to get dryness).
6. The outer dough is ready. Roll them to small balls.
To Prepare Pooranam:
1. Mix all the ingredients, given to prepare Pooran.
2. In a mixer, grind them coarsely.
3. Add a tsp of ghee and knead them well.
4. Roll them to small balls and set aside.
5. Lipsmacking Poornam ready for stuffing.
To make Mothagam:
1. Grease banana leaf or plastic sheet with oil.
2. Take a lemon sized ball, grease your hands with oil ( to avoid sticking of the dough ) and flatten them gently to small disc shape.
3. Place the coconut Pooranam ball in the middle.
4. Cover it from all sides as shown below.
5. Place them in a greased idly plate.
6. Similarly for modak shape, flatten the dough ball to thin disc.
7. Keep the poornam ball inside.
8. Gather the edges together and seal the poornam with a peak as shown in the pic.
9. Now we can get the lovely modak shape.
10. Arrange them in greased idly plate.
11. Steam cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
12. Serve them after they cool down.
13. Tasty tasty Kozhukattai ready..!
For all the Ganesh Chaturthi Special recipes click here ...!