KALA JAMUN / How to make Kala Jamun at home / step by step
Kala Jamoon: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Jamoons are an Indian speciality dessert, that are absolutely delectable..!!!
There are two varieties available…one is called Gulab Jamun ( which is light brownish in color) & the second one is Kala Jamun ( that are dark brown / blackish in color ). As the name “ Kala “ implies black in Hindi..!
I first tasted this dessert at our favorite restaurant. It was lipsmacking to gobble these melt in the mouth dessert and I couldn’t wait to try it at home fresh.
In this easy recipe, the gulab jamuns are prepared with readymade jamun mix or with paneer & khoya mixture and then deep fried again to dark brown color and coated with sugar syrup.
So, here is the traditional Indian dessert recipe for you to.enjoy..:)
A.To prepare Sugar Syrup:
- Sugar - 2 cups
- Cardamom pods - 1 or 2
B.To Prepare Jamoon:
- Jamun Pwd - 1 packet
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Cardamom pwd - a pinch
- Sugar - ½ tsp
- Green food color - a pinch
- Oil - to fry
A.To Prepare Sugar Syrup:
- Take 2 cups of sugar in a bowl.
- Add 1 cup of water, cardamom pods crushed and mix well.
- Heat in a medium flame, until the sugar dissolves and turns one string consistency.
- Turn off the flame, keep warm on stove.
B.To Prepare Jamoon:
- Take jamoon pwd in a wide bowl.
- Knead & make sure there are no lumps in it.
- Add milk slowly and knead to smooth dough.
- Slice one-fourth of the dough separately and three-fourth of the dough separately.
- To one-fourth add a pinch of cardamom pwd and ½ tsp sugar.
- Add ¼ tsp of green food color mixed in water.
- Mix all the above and knead to smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of it.
- Also make small balls out of the three-fourth dough.
- Now stuff the colored balls made and cover it up.
- First roll it to round shape.
- Then make it to small cylindrical shapes. ( this is optional only, you can keep it to round shape also )
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai or wok.
- Drop the rolled dough gently in hot oil.
- Keep the flame to low medium and deep fry to golden brown.
- Take care to reduce flame, or else the outer side of jamun gets cooked and inner side remains uncooked.
- Once it turns golden brown all sides, drain from oil and keep aside.
- Little later, ( approx. 10 mins ) fry them again in hot oil.
- In low flame, fry them until it attains nice darker color.
- Drain from oil and soak them in warm sugar syrup;
- Let it soak for 3 to 4 hrs.
- You can see, the Kala Jamoons swell up after absorbing the sugar syrup to it.
- Lipsmacking homemade kala jamoons are ready to enjoy..!