Spicy Chicken Kuzhambu / Chettinad Style / Kozhi Kuzhambu :
Spicy Chicken Kuzhambu:
Here’s a spicy & aromatic Chettinad style Chicken curry recipe. It is so easy to cook & is also one of the tastiest.!
In this recipe the chicken is marinated with chilly pwd, turmeric pwd, herbs paste and cooked in spicy masala. For best result, do start earlier to allow time for marinating the chicken pieces. And it goes great with plain boiled rice or with chapatis ( Indian flatbread ) .
Make delicious chicken kuzhambu with this simple recipe.:)
- Chicken - ½ kg
- Mint, curry & coriander leaves - ½ cup
- Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
- Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 ½ tsp
- Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Mustard - ½ tsp
- Red chilly - 3 to 4
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut pieces - ½ cup
- Milk - ¼ cup
- Onion - 2
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Tomato - 2
- Lemon juice - few drops
- Salt to taste
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces.
- Drain water and keep aside.
- Wash and grind mint, curry & coriander leaves to fine paste.
- Add this paste to chicken.
- Add salt, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, ginger garlic paste and combine.
- Marinate for one hour.
- Meanwhile heat a tsp of oil in a pan.
- Add mustard, red chilly and coriander seeds.
- Sauté for a minute.
- Allow to cool & grind it to coarse masala pwd.
- Make a paste of grated coconut with the addition of little milk.
- Now heat 2 tbsp of oil in a fry pan.
- Add finely chopped onion.
- Sauté til it turns light golden brown.
- Add green chillies slit lengthwise and sauté further.
- Add mashed tomatoes and cook till oil separates.
- Add coconut paste in the pan.
- Fry well in medium flame for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook in low medium flame till the chicken is cooked tender.
- No need to add water, as the water content in the coconut paste is enough to cook.
- Stir once in a while.
- Once the chicken turns soft & cooked, add the freshly ground masala pwd ( step 10)
- Mix well and close the lid.
- Allow to cook for 2 more mins.
- Add little water according to your desired curry consistency.
- The delicious chicken kuzhambu is ready.
- Serve hot in a bowl & sprinkle few drops of lemon juice to it.
- It makes a lipsmacking combo with steamed rice or with roti / chapatti.