Arachuvitta Sambar :
Arachuvitta Sambar is a very traditional South Indian dish..!!
“Arachu Vitta” means grinding the roasted spices to masala pwd. The speciality of this recipe , is the addition of freshly ground masala to the sambar, instead of using the regular sambar pwd.
This recipe tastes unique & more delicious than the normal sambar . We can use any preferred vegetables like carrot, raddish, drumstick, okra, etc.. !
At our home, when we’re bored of making sambar with instant sambar pwd, we simply love this way of making tangy tonguetickling sambar, & it makes an excellent combo with idly, dosa, pongal, vada etc. We can have more idlies or rice with this flavorful sambar.
Lets see how to make delicious, perfect Arachuvitta sambar with this simple recipe..!
- Toor dal - 1 cup
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Vegetables chopped - 1 cup
- Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
- Asafetida/ hing - a pinch
- Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chana dal - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 2 to 3
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds/pwd - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Wash and soak the toor dal for 5 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water, turmeric pwd and pressure cook it until soft.
- Mash it well.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze the thick extract and keep aside. ( if you’re using tamarind paste, dilute it with half cup of water)
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a pan, roast the ingredients given under label “ To grind ”
6. Allow to cool and grind it to coarse pwd.
- Chop onion, tomato & preferred vegetables in desired size.
- In a wide pan / kadai, heat a tbsp of oil.
- Add mustard, cumin, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and sauté well, till it changes color.
- Add onion, salt and sauté till transculent. ( adding salt, will make the onion cook soon.
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook soft.
- Add the preferred vegetables and stir well.
- Add turmeric pwd, hing, red chilly pwd and mix.
- Add a cup of water, close it with a lid and cook covered, until the vegetables are cooked soft.
- Add the cooked dal and combine.
- Add water as necessary to adjust the consistency.
- Now add the thick tamarind pulp, cook well.
- Add the freshly ground masala pwd.
- Mix well and cook sambar for 2 to 3 mins.
- Remove from stove top & garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Now the tasty yummy arachuvitta sambar is ready.
- Serve with hot idly, dosa or rice.
- Flavorful Arachuvitta Sambar makes a yummy combo with hot idlies..