To prepare homemade crispy Bitter-gourd chips is a tasty process & good choice for those who don’t like bitter gourd. Most of us avoid this healthy vegetable coz of its bitterness. But the crunchy & crispy chips version makes a best solution for it. These taste great sliced into thin rounds, deep fried with masala coating.
This is a very simple recipe. Before frying, the chips are coated in a light batter with just the right amount of seasoning. The batter adds flavor and ensures the chips are crisp.
Also, it makes an excellent choice as a snack for evening tea.
Hope you try & enjoy this crispy chips made of bitter gourd...:)
- Bittergourd / Pavakkai / Karela - 3 nos
- Gram flour - ½ cup
- Rice flour - 3 tsp
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Chat masala pwd - ¼ tsp
- Oil to deep fry
- Salt to taste
- Wash the bittergourd and pat dry.
- Slice off the top and tail and then cut the bittergourd into thin rings.
- Put these thin rings in a plastic container and sprinkle 1 tsp of salt over them.
- Mix them well,so that the rings are fully coated with salt.
- Keep aside for half an hour.
- The salt will cause the bittergourd to give off all its water and some of its bitterness.
- After half an hour, drain all excess water from the bittergourd.
- In a bowl, take gram flour, rice flour, red chilly pwd, chat masala, salt and 1 tsp of oil.
- Mix well.
- Add the sliced bitter gourd to the flour mix.
- Sprinkle few drops of water so that the masala coats all the pieces well.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan on medium flame.
- When hot , add the masala coated slices little at a time & fry till crispy.
- Stir often with a slotted ladle.
- When cooked, drain and put onto paper towels.
- Store in an air tight container. It stays crisp for a long time.
- Enjoy the crisp & spicy bittergourd chips with your piping hot coffee/ tea or as a side for curd rice.
This is off to Sweet Karam Kapi's Flavors of Tamilnadu Event
Related Quick Links:
Bunch of Awards:
I received these wonderful awards from my dear friends & outstanding foodblog authors Soba Shyam , Easyfoodsmith , Anzz & Julie ...!
Thanks for the honour friends. It really means a lot and encourages me to blog more.
Check out their spaces to enjoy yummy recipes & excellent food cliks. Keep up the great work friends..:)
I would like to pass it to the following blogger friends