I saw the recipe of Thalassery Biryani in a popular TV cookery show last week. It is absolutely mouthwatering and I can’t wait to try it. The traditional recipe is prepared with chicken and other simple Indian ingredients.
Exactly I tried out the same step by step instructional video recipe and it came out very well. And this Biryani is very popular in Kerala Cuisine and got its name from the Keyi family of Thalassery..!
Try out this traditional & yummy recipe !
· Chicken pieces - ½ kg
· Basmati rice - 2 cups
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tbsp
· Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
· Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
· Ghee - 2 tbsp
· Bay leaf - 1
· Cloves - 2 to 3
· Cinnamon - 1
· Cardamom - 1
· Saunf - ¼ tsp
· Onion - 4
· Tomato - 3
· Green chilly - 3 to 4
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
· Coriander and mint leaves - handful
· Garam masala pwd - 1 tsp
· Yoghurd - ¼ cup
· Fried onions - 2 tbsp
· Food color - a pinch
· Cashew - 5
· Raisins - 10
· Oil to shallow fry
· Salt to taste
1. Wash and clean the chicken pieces.
2. Wash and soak basmati rice for 10 mins.
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Make a paste of red chilly pwd, turmeric pwd, 1 tbsp lemon juice and salt.
5. Marinade the chicken in this paste for 1 hour.
6. Heat oil in a fry pan.
7. Shallow fry the marinated chicken and keep aside.
8. Heat ghee in the pan.
9. Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, saunf and cardamom.
10. Wait to crackle.
11. Add one sliced onion pieces.
12. Sauté to golden.
13. Add soaked rice and water.
14. Pressure cook till the rice is ¾ th done.
15. Now, heat ghee in the pan.
16. Add the remaining onions, green chillies slit lengthwise, ginger garlic paste and stir well.
17. Add chopped tomato pieces and cook for a minute.
18. Add freshly chopped coriander and mint leaves.
19. Next add garam masala pwd, yoghurd and salt.
20. Allow the mixture to cook well.
21. Now add the fried chicken pieces.
22. Cover and cook the chicken pieces in the gravy.
23. Take a heavy bottom pan.
24. Add this chicken along with gravy.
25. Add a layer of cooked basmati rice over it.
26. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
27. Top it with another layer of rice.
28. Add fried onions, few drops of food color, raisins and cashews.
29. Close the lid tightly and place the weight on top.
30. Keep in simmer for 8 to 10 mins.
31. Remove from flame.
32. once the pressure goes off, fluff the biryani gently.
33. Serve hot Thalassery Biryani with boiled eggs and raitha.