Maa Vilakku - Aadi Velli Pooja
Maa Vilakku - Aadi Velli Pooja:
Maa Vilakku , is a lamp made of jaggery, ghee and rice flour. It is prepared as an offering to the Goddess, during the special pooja observed on Fridays in Aadi month of Tamil calendar.
All Fridays of Aadi month are considered auspicious. We could see illuminated temples with chanting of mantras and devotional songs. Preparing sweets for neivedhyam and offering ( prasadam ) to the goddess, doing special poojas at temples will be practiced during this month.
Let us wish each other a very happy & prosperous Aadi Velli celebrations..!
My MIL prepared this Maa Vilakku for today’s pooja and offered to Goddess.
Glad to share this traditional recipe of Maa Vilakku with you all..!
· Rice - 2 cup
· Jaggery powdered - 1 cup
· Cardamom - 2
· Ghee - 50 g
1. Wash and soak raw rice for 1 hour.
2. Drain and spread it on a white cloth to dry under shade.
3. Now, grind the damp rice in a mixie to smooth powder.
4. Take a pan, melt ghee.
5. Add powdered jaggery, rice flour and cardamom pwd.
6. Mix well.
7. Remove from flame.
8. knead to smooth dough.
9. Make a ball out of the dough.
10. Using thumb make a small dent on top of the ball.
11. Place a wick / thiri and pour ghee around it.
12. Light the thiri and offer your prayers.
13. After pooja, remove the wick, break it into pieces, and distribute as prasadam to eat.
Wishing a lovely day to all..!