Spicy Fish Fry - Indian Style / Vavval Meen Varuval / Butter Fish Fry
Spicy Fish Fry – Indian Style:Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
We Indians have several mouth licking recipes of fish, out of which this is an authentic south Indian style fry. This is very tasty and the fish will be spiced up with tangy fish masala. I learnt this recipe from my MIL and it is my favorite dish.
In this recipe. I have used vaval fish ( butter fish / white pomfret ) . But we can use the same recipe with some other fish also.
After marriage, when I go to fish market with my hubby, I will be confused to find out the fresh and tasty fish . My mom used to give me some tips for selecting good ones…!
Hope this would be useful for you too..!
1. The fresh fishes won’t have foul smell.
2. The fish skin should be shiny and moist. If the skin is dull, that is a sign for old fish.
3. The eyes should be clear, bright and glossy. ( better to avoid dark cloudy or red eyed fish )
4. The color of the slices of the fish should be white transculent appearance and the edges to be neat and trim.
5. While pressing the fish, fingertips shouldn’t leave an impression, it should be hard.
6. The gills should be in bright pink, red or in scarlet color. This implies the fish is freshly caught.
7. Finally, the fresh fish have a rich aroma when cooked. And the inside flesh would be bright white.
Here comes the truly authentic south Indian style fish fry recipe..
· Butter Fish - ½ kg
· Onion - 1
· Tomato - 1
· Ginger garlic paste - ½ tbsp
· Curry and coriander leaves - a few
· Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - ½ tbsp
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Salt to taste
· Oil as needed.
1. Clean and wash it under water.
2. Make shallow cut marks about 1 inch apart on both sides of the fish, to make sure the marinade seeps through.
3. Grind onion, tomato, curry and coriander leaves, ginger garlic to smooth paste.
4. To this paste add turmeric pwd, salt, red chilly pwd, pepper pwd.
5. Coat the fish slices with this spicy masala paste and allow to marinate for ½ an hour.
6. Shallow fry or broil the fish , until the fish is cooked.
7. Garnish with slices of onion, lemon and serve hot with rice.
8. Delicious Indian style fish fry ready to taste…:)