Coconut Barfi / Nariyal Ki Barfi / Coconut Fudge
Coconut Barfi is one of the rich and easy sweet dish that can be prepared at home. When I first learned to cook this flavorful dessert from my MIL, I was so excited by how simple recipe it was. Now, I am preparing this delicious barfi frequently and it is liked very much by all at my home. The speciality of this dish is its chewy, rich creamy taste and this can be prepared in advance for festive occasions as it has the shelf life of about 10 days..!
This is how we make this traditional Indian mithai coconut barfi..
· Grated coconut - 2 cups
· Ghee - 3 tbsp
· Cashew - 7 or 8
· Raisins - 10
· Sugar - 1 cup
· Milk - 2 tbsp
· Cardamom pwd - a pinch
· Vanilla essence - ½ tsp
· Saffron strands - a few
1. Grate coconut to pieces and grind to fine shreds.
2. Heat a thick bottomed kadai.
3. Add ghee and allow to heat.
4. Roast cashew and raisins to golden.
5. Strain and reserve.
6. Add ground coconut shreds and roast in low flame.
7. Continue roasting till the moisture content is absorbed and lets out rich aroma.
8. Turn off heat.
9. In a separate bowl , boil water.
10. Add sugar to it and keep on stirring, till the sugar comes to syrup consistency.
11. Now add milk to it and continue stirring for two more minutes.
12. Add this thick liquid to the fried coconut shreds.
13. Keep the flame in medium and stir constantly.
14. Add cardamom pwd, vanilla essence and stir, till the contents are blended thickly together.
15. Now add roasted golden cashew and raisins.
16. Stir until the mixture looks thick.
17. Remove from flame and pour into a ghee smeared plate.
18. Flatten the surface and garnish with saffron strands.
19. When warm, cut into square or diamond shaped barfis.
20. Yummy coconut barfis ready to enjoy….you cant possibly just eat one..!