Kozhukattai /Uppu Urundai / Kaara Kozhukattai & Vella Kozhukattai
Hot N Sweet Rice Flour Dumplings: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Uppu Urundai / Kara Kozhukattai & Vella Kozhukattai
Kozhukattai is undeniably one of the tastiest Indian foods...!
This is also popularly known as Modaks. This very quick and easy to prepare snack is made from rice flour. We can make this as a sweet or hot one.
The sweet kozhukattai is flavorful with coconut and jaggery filling. The hot ones are spicy and tasty with the seasonings added to it.
This dumplings are made for special occasions like Ganesh Chathurthi.
But in my home, it is a frequent choice, as my kids absolutely adore the taste. So, I never hesitate to make this delicious dumplings...!!!
Here comes the favorite recipe..!
- Raw rice - 2 cups
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
For Filling: ( Sweet Kozhukattai )
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Sesame seeds - ½ cup
- Coconut grated - 1 tbsp
- Cashew - 6 to 8
- Jaggery powdered - 1 small cup
- Fried gram - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom - 2
For Seasoning ( Kara Kozhukattai )
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Gram dal - 1 tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 4 or 5
- Red chilly - 1
- Onion chopped - ½ cup
- Coconut pieces - 2 tbsp
For preparing dough:
- Wash and soak raw rice for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and grind it to fine paste in blender.
- Add little water as required.
- Take aside and keep.
- Now boil 1 cup of water with a pinch of salt and a tsp of gingely oil.
- When water starts boiling, reduce the flame , add the grinded rice paste.
- Stir continuously till it forms a soft dough.
- Turn off the flame and allow the dough to cool.
Divide the dough into two portions for Hot N Sweet Kozhukattai:
Lets make the Sweet Kozhukattai now:
- Dry roast the sesame seeds.
- Allow to cool.
- Grind it to coarse pwd by adding cashew, jaggery, fried gram and cardamom.
- Heat a tbsp of ghee.
- Add this poornam / filling and sauté for a minute.
- Now sweet poornam ready.
- Take a small lemon sized ball from the dough.
- Apply oil to palms and press the dough softly to make a disc in your palm.
- Place half a spoon full of the filling carefully.
- Close disc to make a smooth ball.
- Do the same with the remaining dough.
- Place all the sweet dumplings in greased idly plate
- Steam cook for 10 to 12 mins
- Delicious , healthy Vella / Sweet kozhukattai ready to enjoy now..
Lets prepare now the Hot n Spicy
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a fry pan.
- Add mustard, cumin, split urad dal, gram dal, asafetida, curry leaves and red chilly
- Allow to splutter, add chopped onion pieces, sauté till it turns golden and add coconut pieces.
- Add this seasoning to the second portion of dough, add salt and mix completely.
- Take small lemon size portion from the dough & make it to round dumplings.
- Steam cook in oil greased idly cooker for about 10 to 12 mins.
- Tasty Kara Kozhukattai / Uppu Urundai is ready too to enjoy..!
Meet you in next post…until then,