Vada Curry / Side Dish for Idly & Dosa
Vada Curry ( Lentil in Spicy Curry )
Vada Curry is very special South Indian recipe. This yummy dish is often served as a side dish & tastes great with Dosai, Idly or Appam. This curry recipe is hot and spicy and form an integral part of South Indian speciality dishes
And here is the easy to make Vada Curry recipe that is absolutely tasty and will be enjoyed by everyone in your family…:)
- Bengal gram dal / Channa dal - 2 cup
- Saunf - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 2
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 2
- Cinnamon - 1
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Onion - 2
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Tomato - 2
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Red chilly pwd - ½ tbsp
- Coriander pwd - ½ tbsp
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- Curry & coriander leaves
To prepare Vada:
- Wash and soak Bengal gram dal for 2 hrs.
- Drain water completely and grind coarsely with saunf, red chilly and salt.
- Add little water and grind to thick coarse batter.
- Add finely chopped onions and mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Spread the batter in small portions in hot oil.
- Deep fry in medium flame to golden.
- Remove and keep aside in a tissue paper.
To Prepare Curry:
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- Sauté chopped onions and green chillies until golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste, fry well till the raw smell disappears..
- Add mashed tomatoes and keep the heat in medium and let the tomatoes cook.
- Once the oil leaves the surface, add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd and salt.
- Now add 3 cups of water and allow to boil covered for 5 mins.
- When the gravy thickens, add the fried vadas slightly scrambling them.
- Stir well and let it simmer until the vada soaks up all the liquid from the gravy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and curry leaves.
- Delicious , tasty Vadacurry is ready to enjoy with hot soft idli & golden crisp dosa..:)